Mark Lohide - Commissioner
Jerry Monjar - Commissioner
Josh South - Commissioner
Courthouse - Basement Meeting Room
212 West Main Street
Vevay, In 47043
Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri - 8:00am - 3:30pm
Thursday - 8:00am - 12:00pm
The three commissioners... more/less info
are the custodians of the home rule powers of the county. Counties have 3 commissioners, one from each district in the county. Within the scope of the home rule, commissioners may adopt and vest themselves with additional regulatory powers. Specifically, all commissioners have authority to pass ordinances in the following broad areas:
- Controlling, maintaining, and supervising county property including the courthouse, jails and public offices.
- Supervising construction and maintenance of roads, bridges and to provide for traffic control.
- Developing economic development programs to attract and retain jobs in the county.
- To grant vacation pay, sick leave, paid holidays and other similar benefits to county employees.
- To administer elections in conjuction with the county election board.
- to establish minimum housing standards.
- Auditing and authorizing payments on behalf of the county.
- To incorporate new towns and alter township boundary lines, on petition.
- Receiving bids and authorizing contracts.
- Exercising appointive powers including both the selection of members to fill positions on boards, commissions, and committees, and appointments of certain department heads.
- Planning and implementing strategies for solid waste handling as members of solid waste district boards.