The April Council meeting has been postponed until further notice due to Covid-19.
County Council meetings are held the 2nd Wednesday of every month, unless specified otherwise.
The council has the ultimate decision-making power regarding fiscal affairs. The council has authority to view or review fiscal matters, determine proper policy, and set priorities for the allocation and expenditure of county funds. The General Assembly determines the powers of the county council in this area. Typically these powers include:
- Approving and fixing annual operating budgets of all county government offices and agencies.
- Establishing salaries, wages, per diems, and other compensation for all county officials and employees.
- Fixing tax rates and establishing levies on all county property for the purpose of raising funds to meet budget requirements in conducting county business as well as authorizing the borrowing of money in the form of bonds and notes.
- Appropriating public funds, i.e., authorizing the expenditure of county money by particular officials or departments for specific purposes.
- Authorizing certain purchases or sales of county owned land.
- Non-binding review of budgets for certain non-elected boards in the county and other civil units.
MEET THE COUNCIL
ELIZABETH "ITSY" JONES
KEEP IN TOUCH