Joan Armstrong - Assessor
Switzerland County Courthouse - First Floor
212 West Main Street
Vevay, In 47043
Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri
8:00am - 3:30pm
Thur - 8:00am - 12:00pm
The Assessor is a... more/less info
statutory officer of the county. The primary duties of the county assessor are to determine the assessed value of property in the county and certify the values to the county auditor.
Taxpayers can file an appeal with the county assessor to challenge the value placed on their property.
The Assessor is not responsible for establishing the tax rate, but only the assessed value of the property.
- Serves as Member/Secretary of the County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals.
- Insures countywide uniform Property Assessment Equalization.
- Acts as the Inheritance Tax Appraiser and represents the Inheritance Tax Division.
- Discovers and identifies omitted property.
- Calculates the assessed value of all real property in each taxing district.
- Verifies and review the self-reported values of all personal property in each taxing district.
- Calculates the total assessed value of each taxing district.
- Certify current Assessments to the County Auditor's Office.
- Utilizes recent sales of land (Sales Disclosures) to establish base market rates and values in each neighborhood, adjusts base values for location, nearness to amenities and other influence factors.
- Records property characteristics and determines real property assessments.
- Establishes boundaries for neighborhoods within their Township
- Utilizes recent sales of land (Sales Disclosures) to establish base market rates and values in each neighborhood within their Township, adjusts base values for location, nearness to amenities and other influence factors within their Township
Stacey Mathews - Deputy Assessor